Tatiana Maslany, Tom Cullen, and Joey Klein (Stars & Director of “The Other Half”)
In this interview, the Critic and the Referee have a little chat with Tatiana Maslany, Tom Cullen, and Joey Klein, the stars and the writer-director-producer of the upcoming film, “The Other Half,” which releases in theaters March 10. Now, you know who these two actors are: Tatiana Maslany is the star of “Orphan Black,” and she won an Emmy award for her role in that show last year. Tom Cullen was featured in the fourth and fifth seasons of “Downton Abbey” and is the star of the critically acclaimed film, “Weekend,” which was released in 2011. Plus, they are a couple in real life. Furthermore, while you may not know you Joey Klein is right now, you’ll probably hear much more from him in the near future. Listen to these three friends discuss the process of making an intense film together and much more!
About “The Other Half”
For our review, click here!
Nickie Bellow (Tom Cullen) is a self-destructive drifter, ever mourning the disappearance of his younger brother. Having abandoned a life of promise in his native UK, he has spent the inaugural years of adulthood drowning grief in alcohol and violence. By the 5th anniversary of his brother’s disappearance he has reached his nadir – fired from his menial job, he is poised once again for an aimless life. Then he meets Emily (Tatiana Maslany) and the two form an immediate, inseparable bond – it is love at first sight deepened by a shared sense of sorrow. Enamored with each other, they expedite the standard rituals of a ‘normal’ relationship. Drunk on the intoxication of an accelerated young love, they consume each other ravenously, accustomed to the fleeting and transitory, untrusting of permanence. After a short amount of time, his PTSD and her bipolar disorder surface complicating their new-found intimacy. They have a connection deeper than anything they could have imagined; it’s the two of them against the world. For Nickie and Emily, time does not heal all wounds, but could real love indeed conquer all?
Written and directed by Joey Klein, THE OTHER HALF follows a grief-stricken man and a bipolar woman who fall in love and attempt to forge a simple life together. The film stars Tom Cullen (Downton Abbey, Weekend) and Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black, Two Lovers and a Bear).
Starring: Tatiana Maslany, Tom Cullen, Suzanne Clément, and Henry Czerny
Directed by: Joey Klein
Written by: Joey Klein
Produced by: Nicole Hilliard-Forde, Jonathan Bronfman, and Joey Klein
Distributor: Brainstorm Media
Release Date: March 10, 2017
Runtime: 103 minutes
More About Tatiana Maslany, Tom Cullen, and Joey Klein
1. As we know, THE OTHER HALF made its world premiere at SXSW in 2016. However, it was a long road for you, Joey, as a first-time director, to bring this film to fruition. How did you develop the project, and how did everyone become attached?
2. Tatiana, your character, Emily, battles with mental illness, but not in a way that’s overdone. How did you find the right balance for a character who – for the most part – seems to be sensitive to the possibility that things will go awry, but who also wants to be free to enjoy life?
3. Tom, your character, as well, experiences life in extremities. We go from Nickie’s extreme and tragic loss to his discovery of extraordinary love, while his horrific, violent behavior is tapered with the loveliest moments of tenderness and care. How was it for you in preparing for this kind of role and ultimately bringing the ever-so-complicated Nickie to life?
4. Tatiana and Tom, it’s no secret that the two of you are a real-life couple. Actually, it was for me since I didn’t know that going in, which made your performances even more sweet. There were so many moments of “discovery” yet “familiarity” between the two of you. How was it to maneuver between your off-set relationship and Nickie’s and Emily’s on-set relationship? And, how much of that interaction was improvised vs. scripted?
5. Here on Why Watch That, we always end our interviews by asking our guests which movies and TV shows they’re watching right now. So, Tatiana, Tom, and Joey, what are you watching?