From Podcast Episode 28:
He burst onto the scene as the star of “District 9” and has appeared in many other sci-fi/action/adventure films since then, including the upcoming “Free Fire.” But, on August 26, Sharlto Copley stars in … a dramedy, called “The Hollars”! Director-producer John Krasinski (“The Office”) also stars in the film, along with Margo Martindale, Richard Jenkins, Anna Kendrick, and Josh Groban — yes, Josh Groban! Listen to our engaging and insightful interview with Sharlto!
For a complete list of Sharlto’s work, click here!
For our review of “The Hollars,” click here!
- THE HOLLARS is an endearing film with such a stellar cast. We totally believed this family and all their craziness. What a ride! Tell us how you became attached to the project.
- John Krasinski was both the director of The Hollars and one of its principal actors. What was it like to be directed by him and to act with him, all at the same time?
- You play RON HOLLAR, the son and brother who seems to keep coming up short in life. We watch him, sometimes hilariously, struggle to find his place in the family. How did you approach finding the balance between RON’s tragedy and comedy?
- How much improv did you do, if any, when making The Hollars?
- The opening scene had everyone “hollering” in my screening. Right off the bat, you get a real since of the relational dynamics of this family. What was it like working with veterans Margo Martindale and Richard Jenkins, as well as Anna Kendrick and Josh Groban?
- You’ve typically been in sci-fi/action/adventure movies, starting with District 9, which thrusted you into the spotlight. How did that experience change your career?
- You’ve got the action/thriller FREE FIRE coming out shortly starring Brie Larson, Cillian Murphy, and Armie Hammer, which, presumably, is quite different from THE HOLLARS. What kind of experiences do you walk away with from working on those two types of movies?
- We, here on Why Watch That, always close our interviews asking what movies or TV shows our guests are currently watching? So Sharlto…What are you watching?